Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Black Bean Enchiladas

I haven't been cooking. Oh I've been baking like crazy but I haven't been cooking and I kinda miss it. I think I've been getting caught up on not knowing what to make since becoming a vegetarian. Also, Steve and I have been going out to eat or eating something super easy at home like sammiches or wraps (Bread of Life makes a good Brown Rice tortilla).

However, over the last couple days I've been wanting to cook something and as I was laying down last night I remembered how I used to make these really great sour cream chicken enchiladas...and I thought of ways to adapt it so that I can eat home made enchiladas again, quick and easy. This makes several trays of enchilada's. I ended up freezing half and cooking half now.



Fast and Simple Black Bean Enchiladas

Preheat oven to 350

corn tortillas
1 can black beans
1 can Original RoTel
1 can corn and peppers (whole kernel corn with red and green bell peppers)
1 box Mori-Nu Silken Firm Tofu (finely diced)
1 can Enchilada Sauce (read the labels and find one that is GF) I chose a basic Red sauce.
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1 cup shredded cheese

Dice tofu and add to sauce pan. Drain black beans, and Corn and add to tofu. Pour in RoTel (undrained). Stir gently to mix.



Now stir in 1/2 can Enchilada Sauce and 1/2 can refried beans. Stir gently until sauce and beans have mixed and heat until warm.

Spray Pam lightly into large glass casserole dish. Spoon some of the tofu mix into center of one tortilla and sprinkle a little cheese on. Roll up tortilla and place seam side down into casserole dish. Repeat till dish is full...This makes a lot of filling and I ended up with 2 large dishes full...one to freeze and one to eat now! :)


Drizzle the rest of the enchilada sauce over top of the enchiladas and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle tops with remaining cheese and cook until cheese melts (5-10 mins).


I also made my enchiladas with handmade corn tortillas. It takes a few minutes longer than buying them pre-made but they taste really awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment