Friday, March 13, 2009

flour tortilla

Not your typical flour tortilla as these are made with Pamela's Baking Mix.

I have made corn tortilla's before using masa harina and water and they make up so fast and easy. I've always known that flour tortilla's were a lot more complicated, but I can't remember any recipes for them and I've grown tired of the rice tortillas I've been eating...they are good, just a bit dry and chewey for sandwiches.

I'm really starting to LOVE the Pamela's Baking Mix for just about everything...it's a little pricey ($16/4lb) but I have been using it in normal recipes as my 'flour' and reducing the other leavening ingredients accordingly and it's working...that's really handy and quite frankly, easier than mixing my own flours.

So, back on topic, I grabbed my bag of 'flour', the margarine an the coconut milk out of the fridge.

I warmed the coconut milk in the microwave so that it thinned out...about 15 seconds on high and stirred thoroughly. Set aside.

2 Tablespoons margarine
3/4 cup 'flour'
coconut milk, as needed for consistency
The baking mix already has the leavening and salt added, so its not necessary to add them.

Margarine and flour in a bowl and mash till coarse crumbs. add little bits of the milk and stir. you want a slightly moist but NOT wet or sticky ball to form. kneed for a couple minutes and add flour if it's sticking to your hands.

make into 5 equal sized balls and place between 2 pieces of plastic wrap (or wax paper). flatten with a tortilla press or a rolling pin (or the bottom of a large pan) to a tortilla thickness...a little thicker is easier to handle while it's in this stage.

one at a time put into a DRY frying pan on heat level 3, if electric (medium-low if gas). agitate pan so that it doesn't stick and can slide around in pan a little bit. After 30 seconds, carefully turn over and continue heating. Turn over several times till desired done-ness/brownness.

Place on wet, but squeezed out, papertowels (or wet regular towels). Continue cooking & covering till all are made.

I made mine about the width of a slice of bread and used it as my bread today for a tuna sandwich. It was the first non-corn/rice tortilla sandwich I've had in 2 years and it was awesome. seriously.

May not be the BEST way to make flour tortilla's but it worked for me and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

if you make some, link em! I wanna see yours too. :)


not the best picture, but I ate the others already! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment