Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I am so disappointed in myself. I made the BEST banana bread loaf tonight.

I made it without measuring anything...without even really knowing what I was going to make until I already had about half the ingredients in.

here's what I did and what I was thinking as I did it:
1. hmmm, i would really like a grilled cheese sammich right now. but I can't eat Steve's bread b/c it's got wheat flour and I don't have any bread...and I don't want to use a brown rice tortilla again. it's not the same.
2. I know! I read a blog the other day where somebody made flour tortillas and I think I can make something similar and then have bread for making a sammich.
3. ok, that blog started out with butter and flour being cut in together... ok, thats a decent amount of butter (3 T, maybe, used a fork and didn't measure a damn thing) and 2/3 cup Pamela's Baking Mix.
4. Turn oven on at 350
5. cut it all together till it's a coarse mix.
6. I remember that they added milk and then kneeded a while...Pulled the half and half (no milk at our house) and an egg out of the fridge. cracked the egg into the mixture and poured a little half and half in (1/4 cup-ish)
7. That banana sitting 2 ft away on the counter sure is getting a bit ripe...I'll make banana bread. unwrapped huge banana and threw it in, whole. Used the same fork i've been using all along to mash it up and mix it together.
8. banana bread should be slightly sweet...grabs agave nectar out of pantry and vanilla extract from spice cabinet. poured 2ish T of vanilla in and mixed together. Squeezed agave...maybe 1/2 cup into mix. Mixed together really well.
9. banana bread was looking WAY too wet, so I added 1/3 cup Pamela's Baking Mix and 1 more egg for leavening luck. still using fork, mixed it all together really well.
10. pulled out loaf pan and sprayed liberally with non-stick spray.
11. poured into loaf pan and put in fridge for 10 minutes while oven finished heating up.
12. baked for 45 minutes.

PERFECT banana bread. It is SO good. It's got a crisp crust, but not hard or dry. The inside is very moist and banana-y. It's lightly sweet, but you don't think sweet when you eat it, you think banana bread. It's awesome.

I could just kick myself for not measuring as I did it. Also, no grilled cheese tonight. Maybe I'll actually get around to making the tortilla's tomorrow. LOL

Also, in case I haven't mentioned it before, I LOVE Pamela's baking mix. I use it like regular flour (xcept I know it's already got the baking soda/flour mixed in) and can, almost, use regular recipes. I don't think it's a perfect replication of wheat flour because it does have a lot of nut flour in it that can be tasted, but it's still SO good and awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment